Guido Deiro |
A fairly-recent aerial view of the village of Salto.
The village of Salto is a tiny community with a population of only about 150 people located across the River Orco from Cuorgné. It is situated in hilly terrain at an altitude of 387 metres (1,270 feet) above sea level. The primary industries when Guido lived here were raising dairy cattle, growing wine grapes, tending fruit orchards, and hunting and fishing. The Deiro family engaged in all of the before-mentioned occupations to some extent, but were primarily known for building and operating general stores to sell their produce. They also imported hardware and clothing. Up until the 21st century, they had stores in Cuorgné, Castellamonte and Locarno. Today there is just one very modern department store in Cuorgné called simply "Deiro."
The village Salto lies within Deiro Superiore. Deiro Inferiore and Superiore are fractions of the commune of Salto. Canavese is the “county “ that encompasses Salto, Cuorgné, Castellamonte, etc. The ruins of the family castello and the Chapel of the Mary’s birth of Jesus and a few older homes are located in Deiro Inferiore. The road leading to it is named Via di Deiro Inferiore.
In the center of the photograph above is the Chiesa San Giacomo Apostolico, and behind it across the field is the cemetery. Tombstones can be seen in the courtyard. Many dozens of Deiros rest here.
The original church--chiesa antica--is the building at center-left with the white bell tower and gray roof. It was built in the 17th century. Guido's great grandfather, Carlo Domenico (1814-1859) is buried under the nave of this church. The building with a beige-colored slate roof right in front of the chiesa antica is the rectory.
The new church is center-right with pillars in front and a red tile roof was built in 19th century. Guido's father, Count Carlo Pietro (1863-1937), is entombed under the nave of this church.
To the right of the photograph is a building with a gray roof: the trattoria, a type of general store, coffee shop, sandwich shop and bar. It is only open during morning and afternoons, and closes in the early evening. The street is named Via Fratelli Roselli.
Not pictured in this photograph are the ruins of the Deiro castello (castle) which are still visible on a hill overlooking Deiro Inferiore.